Join us at Sunday worship!
556 East Second St, Jamestown NY
GET IN TOUCH
Tree of Life Lutheran Community - Immanuel Lutheran
President - Wolf-Dieter Krahn
Vice-President - Rob Lind
Treasurer - Carol Sorg
Property - Paul Hagelin
Worship & Music - Lisa Gustafson
Outreach - Jan Bechmann
Hospitality - Carol Sorg
CE, Family and Youth - Judy Lind
Personnel - Wolf-Dieter Krahn
Stewardship - TBA
Finance - Rob Lind
JNP BOARD (2yr terms)
DaleAnn Krahn(expires - 2015)
Pat Sandberg (expires -2014)
2014 NOMINATING COMMITTEE
one more TBA
2014 AUDITORS: (STAGGERED 3 YR TERMS) Kim Hagelin
~~Following the Civil War, many people from Sweden immigrated to Jamestown and nearby towns in New York and Pennsylvania.
In 1887, a new congregation was formed in the name of the Triune God, and received the name Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church. (It was in 1958 the name was officially changed to Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church)
The congregation prospered and decided to buy a lot on East Second Street, and a wooden church was erected in 1889. With thanks and praise to God, this newly formed congregation worshipped in their new building. Within two years, the membership grew to 500 people. Under the leadership of beloved pastor, Dr. Felix V. Hanson and his wife Josephine, there were many firsts for the church. The Women’s Mission Society and a Young Girl’s Mission Society were organized. A lot east of the Church, (now the lower parking lot), was purchased for the purpose of building a new parsonage. During these many years, the surroundings at 556 East Second Street, has changed considerably, and the Church has continued to adapt the uses of the building, upgrade the facilities to meet the needs of mission in the 21st century.
Another milestone in the history of Immanuel was reached when the $100,000 Parish House was dedicated on Sunday, December 1, 1951. To meet the growing needs of Sunday School, the Sunday School Wing addition & alterations were built in the ‘50’s. The facilities of the Parish House, housed the mission of the Joint Neighborhood Project. The Joint Neighborhood Project was a mission of the Church for close to 50 years, but disbanned at the end of June 2013 because of lack of major funding.
Immanuel Lutheran Church chose to rebuild in the same neighborhood, on the same plot of land, and doing so, decided to continue and expand the ministry of the JNP. JNP was housed at the Immanuel House next door to Immanuel Lutheran Church. During the construction of the new church, the members of the Church worshipped at First Baptist Church on Church Street between East Fourth and East Fifth Streets. It was a joyful, thankful people that dedicated our our present edifice on Sunday, December 16th, 1973. Immanuel has been kept by the power of God through faith to serve God and neighbor through Worship and acts of love.
Immanuel Lutheran continues to give thanks for the history being written by God, and we pray for continued guidance, as God continues to rebuild, renew, and resurrect the world through Jesus Christ. May Immanuel, ‘God with us’ continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We hope you will join us in this mission.
Tree of Life - Immanuel & Holy Trinity